Thursday, September 21, 2006

CT scan a success

We went to Gainesville on Tuesday. Lily had her CT scan at 1:00. I rolled her into the room in her stroller and just plopped her up onto the table. Then the CT scan techs inflated a body pillow that was underneath Lily and it immobilized her arms, legs, and head. She just kept looking at me and blinking and never made a sound. I put on my lead vest and the techs went off into their control room. The bed moved into the scanning circle, the machine started whirring and then a red light started going around faster and faster in the circle. Lily looked around at the light and at me but never cried. Her chin quivered at one point, which was about at the same point I felt a strange vibrating sensation go through my body. It was over in seconds and we were done. Kind of weird and I didn't even explain it to her. One second you are happily sitting in your stroller and the next you are on a weird table in a strange room with bright lights and people you don't know fussing over you.....

I would have explained the whole procedure to Charlotte when she was 27 months old and I know she would have understood me. I didn't bother explaining to Lily because she cannot even begin to understand. It is becoming more and more apparent to me everyday how limited her language is compared to that of her peers. At the park today, she pointed to a little girl's Dora and Boots dolls and it just sounded like gobbledy-gook to everyone around us. I knew what she said and Charlotte probably understood her. The little girl was 10 days younger than Lily and said "Mommy, what did that girl say?". I have days when I think I fool myself that she is not that far behind but she really is. She is more like an angry little cavewoman than anything else these days. It goes way beyond what is typical 2 year old behavior. I think any barrier to communication, whether it is a speech delay, a hearing impairment, or autism just is so frustrating for the child. I hope we can get past this stage soon. I need buckets of patience these days.

-Kriste

No comments: