Friday, October 06, 2006

Getting back to the new "normal"...

Things were a bit off-kilter this week since Charlotte's injury occurred but we are slowly getting back to normal. I emailed Dr. Antonelli to ask what I needed to do to get the appointment for the ASSR scheduled. The next morning, the person I had been having a hard time getting a hold of to arrange Lily's appointment finally called. She talked to Chris (I was at FSU with Lily for her AV session) and gave him a date of November 1st for her ASSR. Chris did not ask her what time the procedure will be but I sure hope it has been scheduled for first thing in the morning. Lily will have to have no food/water for 6 hours before the procedure. While I am relieved that we finally have a date for the procedure, I have 2 reservations about this date- one is for superstitious reasons (a few coincedental family accidents happening on this day: sister badly burned as a toddler, brother broke arm falling from tree, I fell and knocked out my permanent front teeth at age nine) and the other because Charlotte is over-the-moon excited about Halloween this year and is so excited about going trick-or-treating. We can trick-or-treat while we are in Gainesville, I imagine. So we will forge ahead with the November 1 date...

We have a follow-up appointment with Dr. Antonelli on November 8th. I have lots of questions since learning about Lily's EVA. I plan to ask how to go about doing genetic testing. We need to find out if she has Pendred Syndrome or not. I have been doing more and more reading about EVA and all the possible issues that this involves. I also want Charlotte to be tested to find out if she is a carrier- I think it is important for her to know this. It is strange to think that one of my parents passed this recessive gene along to me and that is has silently lurked in my family through the years. We know very little about my grandfather's background since he was adopted so don't know if there is a history of deafness there.

One more month and we will have more answers....

No comments: